An overheating iPhone 6S Plus battery sparked a mass evacuation of an Apple Store in the Swiss city of Zurich on Tuesday, leaving a store employee with minor burns and six others requiring medical attention for suspected smoke inhalation.
As the battery overheated, smoke began to emerge from the device, forcing customers to evacuate the premises.
Around 50 people were inside an Apple store in Zurich, Switzerland, when the battery of an iPhone overheated and burned the hand of a worker. Police, fire services, and an ambulance were called in to investigate and tend to victims.
"At the same time, there was a slight build-up of smoke, which led to around 50 customers and employees having to leave the business temporarily".
Police say that staff responded well in evacuating the store.
Apple hasn't commented on the evacuation, however it is believed the device is now being examined by the Zurich Forensic Institute to determine the cause of the issue.
"A shop assistant sustained minor burns while removing the battery that overheated", the statement continued, adding that seven others received medical attention but did not need to be taken to hospital for treatment.